After working the phones Monday and Tuesday, things are really moving along at a good pace.  Hunted down a piece of 4'x8' .032 aluminum at Allied Building Supply on Route 17 in Rutherford, NJ.  It's the perfect solution to waterproofing the deer stand roof.  I really didn't want to try and get up on that small area to hammer down traditional roofing material.  This is real easy, roll it out and hammer it down.  Should last forever as long as a wind storm doesn't lift it up.  Should also allow the snow to slide off quickly once the sun hits it.  It's rolled up in the back of the pick-up waiting delivery to Red Hand.

Bennett Motor Sports has the hitch attachment for the mule and we'll pick it up on the way up to Red Hand tomorrow.

Jake and I worked from morning 'til dusk Friday and Saturday in ridiculous heat (103 degrees Thursday and 94 on Friday).  As if that wasn't bad enough the deer flies wouldn't leave us alone, pesky little buggers.  But we made excellent progress with the stand.  Framing complete, floor installed, three walls with shooting windows cut in, up and hammered in place.  Hoping to put the roof on and the back wall with the door framed and installed by the end of this coming weekend.  Will work on the stairs first though as it will make raising the roof easier.

Richie was finishing up discing the two food plot fields after he had plowed them earlier in the week.  The plowing is done to break up the root mat of growth in the fields and turn over the soil and stones.  Disc preparation chops and grinds the soil clumps further prepping the fields for seeding.
Jake climbed onto the floor of the deer stand and took this picture of the field after Richie was done discing.  You can see the turned soil off in the distance.  This is the lower fork of the upper pasture and it consists of Manhiem loam.  Some of the best, highly fertile soil in the Mohawk River valley.  This will get planted with Imperial Whitetail Clover.  The protein content of this quality clover runs between 30-35%.  The clover is designed to hold that high protein content through the winter.  It should contribute to the overall health of our herd.

This picture shows the view looking towards the southwest from the stand.  Behind the trees and climbing up the ridgeline lies the Grave Yard.  We gave this field it's name because of all the coyote or other predator kills we found there this spring.  Two deer and at least one turkey were ambushed over the winter as witnessed by their skeletal remains.  While it can't be seen in this pic, the field was also plowed and disced in preparation to seeding.  The soil up there is less fertile, more rocky and doesn't hold water well.  We'll plant Imperial Extreme.  It's a hardy mixture of alfalfa, chicory and clover.  It was formulated to hold up to extreme conditions.  It is especially resistant to severe drought, sorching heat and bitter cold.  Hope it lives up to it's hype.

Richie called today and got a great deal on some used farm equipment.  He bought himself a 3 point hitch attached spreader and wanted to know if he could bargin down a deal on a cultipacker for $1,000 would I want it.  He said it looked brand new so I gave him the go ahead.  Spoke to him tonight and we got it.  My 1st piece of farm equipment ... yeehaa.  We plan to look over some hay and corn equipment if I have time this weekend.  Looks like I'll be needing to build a pole barn real soon.   

Tomorrow Richie heads down to the local grainery to pick up 4 tons (8,000 lbs.) of lime and 1600 lbs. of fertilizer (800 lbs. of 6-24-24 for the clover and 800 lbs. of 17-17-17 for the Extreme mix).  Jake and I will head up as soon as we finish up on our last patient.  Marian will meet us there later in the day, with Kellen, Jess,  Ben and little Ben coming on Friday.  With all that muscle we should be able to finish the deer stand and plant the fields.  What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.  Guess when this is all done I'll be able to take on Hercules ... or be dead ... lol.   

Leave a Reply.